How to download macOS High Sierra
I have just confirmed with the Apple Advisor that we have upgraded our Mac from macOS Sierra to macOS High Sierra manually.
As it is completely different software, we will not get any notification of the update. Instead, we have to do it manually.
As per the Apple advisor, we have to follow these steps to download and upgrade to the new macOS.
- Open the AppStore on your Mac.
- Search for High Sierra.
- There you will get macOS High Sierra and macOS High Sierra Beta.
- Select macOS High Sierra and download the software.
- Once downloaded follow the steps accordingly.
There are few things that we must do before downloading the new Mac OS to our MacBook.
Make a backup of your Mac
As always when you upgrade your operating system, remember to back up all your data before anything else happens.
Thus, if the update causes an error or your disk was dragging problems, you can recover all the data.
WARNING TECH GEEKS
YOUR INFORMATION IS EXPOSED
Your location is: Princeton, NJ
Your current IP address is: 2001:4455:2f7:b700:f880:7bad:b46b:1768
You can stream and download anonymously through your PC, Mac, Android, and iPhone through IP Vanish.
You can make a quick backup by copying folders and files directly to an external hard drive or using Time Machine.
Remember that you can also have your files in iCloud Drive or another cloud storage service, so if you have to delete the disk you can recover those files by downloading them again.
Check if your Mac is compatible with macOS High Sierra
There is an easy rule: if your Mac is able to run Sierra, then you can with Sierra High. But if we get more complex you need an Intel 64-bit CPU and a minimum of 2 GB of RAM.
Here are the compatible machines:
- iMac and MacBook: all models from the end of 2009 onwards
- MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, Mac mini and Mac Pro: all models from 2010 onwards
You should keep in mind that there are some updates from High Sierra that you will not be able to use if you do not have a recent Mac, no matter how much you enter that list.
The HEVC video encoding will only be available on these Macs:
- 21.5-inch iMac: mid-2015 model or later
- 27-inch iMac: Late 2015 model or later
- MacBook Pro: Late 2016 or later model
- MacBook: early 2016 model (12-inch, retina display) or later
- Mac mini and Mac Pro: no compatible models
Finally, the APFS file system will only be available on models with SSD disks. Later it will be for computers with Fusion Drive.
What’s new on macOS High Sierra
Let us summarize at a glance all the news that we have with macOS High Sierra:
- APFS: A new file system for our discs that has been updated. He is the heir of HFS + after 20 years of service.
- The firmware of the Mac is checked weekly looking for security risks.
- HEVC Video: This new compression format will have the space of our file library and put the Mac in the loop for 4K content playback. Only available in the latest models.
- Metal 2: new graphics engine that optimizes the Mac for graphical and auto-learning operations.
- Support for eGPU on laptops, but will not be available until spring 2018.
- Content development in virtual reality: finally, Apple is catching up and preparing for the new entertainment platform.
- New tools in Photos: More possibilities of editing and organization, improved sidebar, possibility to edit Live Photos, new Memories, editing using third-party applications, and improving the Faces function.
- Safari becomes the fastest browser in the world. And not only that: it blocks improper ad crawling, soundproofing tabs, improves read mode integration, and now more battery power.
- Siri speaks a more natural language in some languages and his/her engine of recommendations for Apple Music has been touched up.
- The spotlight is now able to search for flight information from its code.
- FaceTime allows you to capture a moment of the call in the form of Live Photos.
- In Notes, you can now organize texts with more options in the sidebar, and you can add content as tables to the notes.
- Mail is smarter and shows you search results optimally.
- iCloud allows you to share paid storage space with all members of the Family mode, as well as being able to share any file using iCloud Drive.
These are the important changes we are going to get to our macOS once we upgrade to the new Operating system.
If you have any queries regarding any of the new Mac OS update, let us know in the below comment section. We will get back to you to solve all your queries as soon as possible.
Would you like to add any other important information to this story? Then write them in the comment box and we will include them in this article.