Discover how and why Google includes emojis in their search results, as well as the feasibility and benefits of using emoticons or emojis to enhance your SEO strategy.
Emoticons have gained a lot of popularity among all the generations. Emojis are like fun symbols which are widely used by teenagers in WhatsApp, Messenger, etc. Today the emoticons are taking on a new dimension. Some experts even study the feasibility of using emoticons to create unlock codes, and the Oxford Dictionary in 2015 chose the famous WhatsApp emoji that cries of laughter as word of the year.
As per study there are 2,666 different emoticons, and 92% of online consumers use these expressive symbols, it is not surprising that Google includes emojis in their searches.
Are Emoticons or Emojis useful for improving SEO?
However, the company did not receive the emoticons with open arms. In 2015, Google disabled the function that allowed to show results based on emojis, later to be rehabilitated in May of 2016.
Google uses emoticons in their searches in two ways:
- If a content includes emoticons, whether, in an excerpt of the text or a headline, Google may consider it relevant and display it on their results page. It works in a similar way to keywords.
- If a user searches for an emoji on Google, the search engine can provide results related to that symbol. For example, if someone inserts an emoticon of a piece of pizza in the search engine, a list will appear with pizzerias.
So using emoticons to position content on Google is possible, and the rules for it to work are basically the same SEO keys that you would use habitually. Mainly they should be relevant to the content and its use should make sense, just like the keywords.
So, you may be interested in having your website appear as a result of a search for a particular emoticon. In this case, it is more practical to use words and phrases related to the symbol, to include emojis to the crazy thing in the page. For now, Google translates the meaning of that emotion, being able to relate it to the traditional language.
At the moment it does not deserve to invest many efforts in improving the SEO with emoticons since that search is not yet in the ascendant nor will be to be it for a couple of years. Simply include an emoji in your SEO title or the meta description, regarding the rest of content, continue with your usual techniques.
Example of Using Emoticons in Title and Description
Let us see an example of how the emoticons work when we include in our post Title and description.
- We have entered the keyword ‘Crazy Emoji’.
- In the Google search results, we can see that there are a number of results which are showing up with the crazy emotions in the title and the description area.
- In the first result, we can see that the emoji is placed in the starting of the title. We can say that the Google search results for emoticons work as the same as it for keywords in the article.
- In the second and third results, we can see the emoticons placed in the starting of the title, ending of the title and in the description area.
- We can say that emojis strategy is the positive way in order to increase our website traffic.
- I will try on my own website and will let you know the details soon about how it exactly works.
I don’t know how the search results will be in the future, let us try for now and see the output how it affects the traffic.
If you have any experience with this strategy, then share your experiences in the below comment section.
What do you think about this idea of Google showing emoticons in search results ?