Google Maps Offline on iOS/Android Devices: If you’re going where the Internet is slow, mobile data is expensive, or you can’t get online, you can save an area from Google Maps to your phone or tablet and use it when you’re offline. Today’s article is all bout how to use Google Maps offline on both the devices iOS and Android without the Internet.
How to use Google Maps Offline for iOS/Android devices without the internet ?
For some time we can use Google Maps for offline. To do this, all you have to do is download the maps you need to go, going to the Google Maps menu and then clicking on “Make available offline”.
Later, when you have no internet connection, you can go to Google Maps and go to “My Places” -> “Offline”, and you can see those maps that previously have saved. And Yes, Google Maps offline has some limitations, we’ll mention below.
Download Google Maps to use Offline for Android devices without the Internet
Here are the steps you need to follow to download and use the Google Maps offline.
- Download the Google Maps app and open the app on your Android phone or Tablet (with Internet Connection).
- Then, Sign into your Google Maps account.
- Now, search for the location you wanted to go.
- Once you have found the location/area you want to go, the simple way to save it for later use is to go to the options menu by tapping the three lines (hamburger) icon and tapping Offline areas.
- Next, tap the plus or add symbol in the bottom right of the screen and there you will be prompted with a message that says “download this area?”
- Drag the map inside the square box until it encompasses the area you want a map of. Pinch to zoom (putting two fingers on the display and bringing them together) to close in on the area you want. Move your fingers in the opposite way to zoom out and encompass a larger area.
- Once you are happy with the map area, tap Download.
- You can name your area. Give a name in the box that appears on the screen.
- Once the map is downloaded on your android device, you can use it by tapping the menu icon at the top left of the main Maps page and returning to Offline areas, where you should now see your downloaded area.
- This is all about the Google Maps offline for Android mobile Devices.
Download Google Maps to use Offline for iOS devices like iPhone/iPad
Here, are the steps to use Google Maps offline for iPhone and iPad users.
- Open the Google Maps app on our iPhone or iPad and then search for the area you want to save.
- Click on the Menu button and choose the option offline areas.
- Next, click on the Plus button in the lower right corner.
- Now, pinch and zoom the area and tune it what you had like to save.
- Then tap on Download option.
- Next, it shows a popup to give a specific name, enter the name and save it for later use.
That’s it. Google Maps will save the area you have selected. You can use Google Maps in the areas you’ve saved in the following ways:
- Driving directions
- Search for points of interest, businesses, and locations in the downloaded area
- Zoom in and out for greater detail and to view points of interest in closer detail
This is the way to use Google Mapps offline for iPhone and iPad devices.
Update the Google Offline Maps:
The offline maps that you have downloaded on your phone or tablet need to be updated at least for every 30 days. If your offline area expires in 15 days or less, Google Maps will try to update your area automatically when you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
To update an offline area manually, follow the steps below.
- On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app.
- In the top left, tap the Menu > Offline areas.
- Tap the expired area on the list.
- The offline area will update.
In the same way, you can Delete and Rename your Google Maps offline.
Limitations for Offline Google Maps:
- The first thing to note is that there is a limitation on the size of the area you’re about to download. This zone can not be more than 120,000 square kilometers. Of course, there is the additional limitation on the amount of space you have in the phone memory.
- On the other hand, only available vector maps are available, but not that physical view from the satellite. Any other view outside the vector map will require you to activate your mobile data rate connection or get another mechanism.
- Offline Google Maps will show the fastest route and you cannot display any alternatives. These maps won’t show the traffic and any other means of transport. Of course, in line with the above, you can not activate options to avoid highways, tolls or ferry, so you have to be careful depending on the type of trip you are going to do because maybe you send for toll roads.
- Another aspect to consider is that you can use the Google Maps search, but is somewhat more limited than in the online version. However, we must recognize that, to be offline, provides a wealth of information.
- Downloading offline areas isn’t available in some regions because of contractual limitations, language support, address formats, or other reasons.
- Google Maps saves offline maps for 30 days. After that, they’ll automatically be deleted to save storage space on your iPhone.
Finally, with regard to navigation, we must say that works relatively well. It is capable of recalculating the route without much complication, so we have no problem if we lose.
As you can see, learn how to use maps offline Google is not of many difficulties. Following the advice and the steps taken in this short article, you’ll go where you want without having to be connected to the network. Although with some limitations.