Have you deleted a file on your computer, and now find yourself desperately needing it?
Fortunately, there are many methods to recover deleted files or photos in Windows 10. In this tutorial, we will describe two simple methods.
Luckily, software developers are sensitive, especially to the immutable laws of bad luck. So, they have made sure to create emergency recovery tools that allow us to protect ourselves.
To recover deleted files in Windows 10 is relatively simple because there are so many methods. Even Windows 10 standard restoring tools can help you do this. The more complicated task is to recover them completely, especially if a good amount of time has passed since deletion.
Recover Permanently Deleted Photos and Files in Windows 10
Let us show you the two best methods to recover deleted files in Windows 10. The first one is a tool to recover previous versions of Windows 10 files. The second is the well-known program, Recuva, which is easily the best rated tool for the task. There are still many other sources, such as Disk Drill and others.
Use the Windows 10 Recovery Tool
If you have deleted a file or photo, first check if it’s in the trash bin. Sometimes this works, especially if you do not usually empty the trash on your Windows device.
If it’s not there, it’s time to use the Windows 10 recovery tool. It not only finds deleted files, but also recovers previous versions of any you’ve ever modified. For example, if you have altered a document and you do not like it, you can restore it to an earlier version.
From the Windows Desktop Computer icon, or using File Explorer, enter the name of the folder that contains the file you want to recover. Right-click on a blank space in the folder or on the file you want to return to a previous version. Select the Properties command, and click on Previous Versions.
In that window, you’ll see previous versions of the file or folder that you have selected. If it is a folder, enter into it and there, you will find deleted files that you might have lost. Note that if you restore a previous file, the current version of that file or folder will be deleted, if it exists.
Keep in mind that this method to recover deleted files in Windows 10 only works if you make frequent backups, or if you have created restore points. If so, the files or folders you want to resurrect would be inside those copies.
If you do not get results, you’ll have to use a more specialized program.
Recover permanently deleted files with Recuva in Windows 10
There are many programs that specialize in recovering deleted files on Windows 10, with both free and paid versions. Recuva is one of the most used softwares for this. The software is free, constantly updated, and well-valued by experts. Recuva uses military-grade data recovery algorithms that support new disk formats and deep analyses. These will allow you to extract files that have been deleted months ago, or even overwritten. It helps recover files from formatted or damaged disks as well. Also, it works with SD cards and USB flash drives.
Step 1: Download and Install
- Download the free version of Recuva Software from the link below.
- As soon as the file is downloaded, just double click on it and hold on for a few seconds till you get a Recuva Setup window.
- Click on ‘Next’, displayed at the bottom of the window.
- Here, you will find a list of installation options, where you can put a tick mark on the certain options.
- Click on ‘Install’ to scure Recuva on your computer.
- After completing installation, another window will display on your screen.
- Click on the “Finish” button. Now, you have successfully installed the Recuva Software on your system.
Step 2: Quick Launch- Run the File
- After finishing the installation of Recuva, a quick launch file will display on the desktop. Click on that icon to run the program.
Step 3: Choose the Type of File
- You will see different file type options like Music, Documents, Video files, Images, All Files, etc.
- Choose a specific file, or select ‘All Files’ so that you can recover any type of deleted file.
- Now, just click on “Next.”
Step 4: Select File Location
- This is the most important step. Here, you need to select the appropriate location of the deleted files from your Windows laptop or PC.
- If you wish to recover the files from your pen drive, memory card, or other external hard disk device, then you’ll need to connect those devices to your computer.
- Choose the drive from where you deleted the file. Select the pertinent option and click “Next.”
- But, if you don’t remember the specific location of the deleted file, then just mark on the option “I’m not sure”. Click “Next” to proceed.
Step 5: Scanning Process
- After choosing the location of the deleted file, you will be asked to initiate the scanning process.
- Now, the Recuva software is ready to search up the permanently deleted files or data in your Windows system.
- Be sure before starting the scan, as it can take a bit of time to scan your entire drive.
- You will be shown a window that asks for enabling Deep Scan.
- Don’t mark or tick “Enable Deep Scan,” just click on “Start” in order to complete the task as soon as possible.
Step 6: Final Recovery Process
- This is the final step of the recovery process. Here, you will see a window that displays the files you selected from the drive.
- Just glance at the below window, where you will see red, green, and yellow icons present in front of the file names.
- The colors that are displayed represents the chance of data recovery. The color codes represent the following:
Green >> Excellent Recovery
Yellow >> Very Poor Recovery
Red >> Can’t recover.
- Green refers to successful file recovery, so you need to make a tick mark in the check box present in front of a green-marked file name and click Recover.
- A pop-up window will display on the screen, asking you to choose a specific location for saving your recovered file.
That’s it! These are the two best methods for recovering permanently deleted files on Windows 10 devices. You can recover files, photos, videos, or any other type of data from your Windows 10 with these methods.
If you have any queries regarding any of the method, let us know in the comments below. We will get back to you to solve all your queries as soon as possible.
Which method do you use to recover permanently deleted files from Windows 10?