Are you going on holiday, perhaps, or simply trying to travel with maps on your smartphone?
Now you’re asking yourself the question … can I use maps without the internet?
What if your data balance is low and you can’t recharge it straight away?
Or, like what happened to me – we were traveling throughout Asia, and we didn’t have appropriate data plans for all of the countries we were traveling to.
If that’s the case, then you’re going to want to use a GPS app with no internet connection for your smartphone (and that’s especially the case if you have no data or nearby wifi). Besides, trying to find multiple wifi hotspots as you travel around a foreign city can be stressful. I know – I’ve been there. Lost with no internet.
And that’s what inspired me to write this article.
There’s good news, though!
To resolve these issues before they happen, we found 7 GPS apps that do not require an internet connection. These GPS apps will work offline and help you to reach your destination without any hiccups (or without getting lost).
There are dozens of offline GPS applications that will help you find where you are at any time (abroad or in your own city). Among those dozens, here are the 7 best apps for you in 2022.
No need to worry about low data balance, no need to worry about the signals. All you need to do is to select the app which suits your needs the best, then download and install it for use.
And before you read this article – you can take some inspiration from this traveling guru. Listen to the first 60-seconds of this YouTube video and you’ll be inspired:
7 GPS apps that do not require an internet connection (offline maps)
This is a free application that allows you to download maps from anywhere on your mobile phone, and then later use those maps offline. It also offers points of interest, although if you want to save them on your maps you must purchase the full version (could be worth it if you are a frequent traveler!). Users say that the greatest advantage of Maps.me is its speed and fluidity.
- Maps.me is a totally offline app. There’s no need for an internet connection and you can even save money on roaming charges.
- It offers worldwide maps. You can download a copy of the entire world to basically put in your pocket. It even lets you download the smallest of islands!
- The main advantage of this app is that it’s fast and never freezes. You can zoom in and out wherever you want.
- This app is available on almost all popular devices.
Yes, our faithful Google Maps to the rescue once again. Google Maps is also probably one of the most popular app applications, and fortunately, it will work while offline. There are some restrictions though as you can only save 150,000 square km of data which might seem like a lot, but, if you’re traveling around the work and visiting multiple countries like I was, then it might not be enough.
You can get additional information from Google’s Maps webpage.
With Google Maps you can get directions and see routes, use navigation, and search for locations.
Two Restrictions with Google Maps:
- – get transit, bicycling, or walking directions
- – When you’re driving you won’t have traffic info
Galileo offline maps
If you are a lover of outdoor activities, this is the app for you. It is especially dedicated to cyclists, travelers, or hikers, as it includes all paths and slopes. Its strong point is that users can save their preferred routes and places. The paid version also allows you to record offline routes, of course taking into account factors such as speed and distance in real-time. Galileo has been available since December 2016.
- Download the maps directly through the app.
- Explore nearby places with the incredibly fast offline search.
- Record your GPS trackings for later use.
- Bookmark your favorite locations or upcoming ones.
- Use the app in any language you choose.
This is an app developed by Nokia and available for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. To use it, you must create an account (completely free), and then you will automatically have access to offline maps on all continents. In addition to offering offline maps, Here maps also provide pedestrian and transit navigation.
Searching the address on Here Maps is just as easy as on Google maps. You can simply enter the name of the restaurant and business instead of typing the city or neighborhood straight up. Furthermore, all of the maps can be searched from a single place rather than visiting multiple databases and browsing categories. It finds most locations including the local grocery stores, museums, and restaurants.
Moving on, the application is similar to Google Maps in terms of street view. You can have a real-time view of different map outlays which include transit, satellite, and traffic.
Furthermore, the application automatically brings out all the routes when you enter an address. You can choose between transit, drive, or walking at the start of navigation. It is easier and more convenient than having to choose different modes from settings. That said, the maps for pedestrians are not as reliable, and often choose long paths. Hence, it is better to stick with Google Maps while traveling on foot.
It is available on the Play Store and Apple’s App Store.
- All maps are in a single library
- Multiple layout modes
- Automatically brings out all available options to let the users decide whether they want to walk, drive or take public transit.
- Offers turn-by-turn navigation in offline mode.
- Clean Interface
If you are going to rent a car, you might be interested in this app. It offers routes and movements in real-time, and goes the extra mile (ha!) by including obstacles that may arise along the way. Users can also contribute information about accidents, police checkpoints, or any other incident. It works with satellite technology and is totally free.
- Get alerted before you approach police, accidents, road hazards, or traffic jams, all shared by other drivers in real-time. It’s like a personal heads-up from a few million friends on the road.
- With community-edited apps, you won’t hit a dead end.
- You can see other people (maybe your friends) driving to your destination when connected to Facebook.
- Waze app helps you to save money on gas, every time you fill up because it navigates you to the cheapest station on your route!
This free app allows you to consult alternative routes, using radar to continuously find you the best route. With the paid full version, you can get voice instructions, speed limit displays, and traffic consultation in real-time.
- Sygic app is the most advanced GPS offline map navigation.
- You can navigate with or without an internet connection on high-quality maps in over 200 countries.
- Sygic also offers real-time traffic with data collected by millions of drivers who use the app.
- Daily alerts for over 30,000-speed cameras and speed limits.
- Project navigation on the windshield of your car at night.
- Real-time information about the cheapest gas prices.
- Find parking with info about 40 million spot prices and vacancies.
So, these are the five best offline GPS apps – no internet connection is necessary. Just download any of these apps once and you can use it for a lifetime. I hope this article helped you, and if you have any queries let us know in the comments below.
If you’re looking for any travel and outdoor gear and gadgets for your trip, Globo Surf has many helpful articles and guides.
If you know any other great GPS apps that work without the internet, let us all know in the comments!
CoPilot GPS – Navigation
CoPilot is dedicated to drivers – it’s meant for driving, and its features are dedicated to and optimized for road navigation. You can download a specific map of a region or territory or country, and then indicate specific POIs (points of interest) and it will provide turn-by-turn instructions.
Furthermore, it has an amazing built-in route planning capability as well as something they call “ActiveTraffic” which manages your driving based on real-time traffic flow. That said, the application is not free and requires a subscription. However, users do get 14 days of free trial run to understand how it works and whether it is suitable for them.
Moving on, the application offers 6 modes which include walking, bicycle, motorcycle, caravan, car and Casper. Choose either of them and the application would provide the best available route. The best thing about the application is its Caravan modes. Users that have recently purchased a Caravan would find it delightful.
When you click on the Caravan, a new window opens up which asks the users to enter the width, length, height, and weight of the Caravan. It analyzes the required details against different roads and comes up with the best plan. You would not have to worry about the overhead bridges or the underpasses while traveling on the route provided by Co-pilot. Even if there are bridges on the roads, their heights would be such that Caravan would not have a problem crossing them.
HERE WeGO is another reliable navigation app that offers both online and offline features. The app has maps of more than 100 countries that users can download and use offline. Even in the offline mode, the app offers full navigation support including voice commands and details on different areas.
Furthermore, the app also suggests transit options and lets the users know about the cheapest deals on car-sharing and public transport. Users would also appreciate its dedicated guidance based on transit methods. You would know how hilly the road is, which is especially important while traveling on a bicycle and walking on foot. Signs like speed limit and speed camera are also displayed on the dashboard.
Which offline GPS app do you use while traveling?